Probably due to the fact that I am a social conservative, some people have trouble believing that I am a libertarian in many ways. But, trust me, I really am. In fact, my libertarianism on some issues is quite radical. Conservatives would whole-heartedly agree with me on some of my libertarian views, but would likely shudder at some others. See what you think about them. I have listed some of them below.
1) I never complain about those who are accused of crimes having too many rights. In fact, I don’t think they have enough. I believe our legal system makes it too easy to get indictments and convictions. It should be much more difficult.
2) I don’t believe in any kind of censorship for any reason. People should be able to say, publish, or exhibit whatever they want, without the fear of restrictions or criminal prosecution. And this includes the right to destroy/burn symbols that other people consider sacrosanct.
3) I don’t believe the government or the police should be monitoring or restricting what people do with their own money. Carrying large amounts of cash should never be used as probable cause that a crime has been committed. People should be allowed to move their money in any amount in and out of various accounts as often as they like, and even launder it if they want. As long as they got it legally, it’s no one’s business what they do with it.
4) I believe in absolute property rights. If you own a piece of property, you should be able build whatever you want on it or destroy anything that exists on it, without government interference. That’s right, I don’t believe in zoning laws.
5) I believe a business owner should be allowed to discriminate against whomever she or he wants, for whatever reason he or she wants – no questions asked. The market, not the government, should decide if it likes their particular kind of discrimination. Despite what society has indoctrinated into our feeble brains, no one has a right to someone else’s products or services. It is their right – and their right only – to decide whether or not to provide them to you. And that right should also be extended to those who rent out their private property.
6) I believe the police should be prohibited from using handcuffs in an arrest for a non-violent crime unless the suspect has a prior conviction for a violent crime.
7) I believe strip searches should be banned. With today’s available technology, I don’t think they can ever be justified.
8) I don’t believe the police or the government should be allowed to monitor or record anyone’s phone calls or emails without a search warrant.
9) I don’t believe waterboarding or any other form of torture should be allowed.
10) I don’t believe the police or the courts should have a right to detain or arrest anyone unless and until they are charged with a crime. This would eliminate the unconstitutional practice of holding someone as a material witness.
11) I don’t believe anything found on someone’s personal computer should be allowed to be used as criminal evidence against them. I also believe the same protection should apply to their internet browsing activities.
12) I believe information gathered from news stories, whether originating from newspapers, TV, radio, and the internet, should be banned from being used as evidence against anyone. I also believe the police and the courts should be prohibited from acting on any news story to initiate any kind of investigation. News stories are for informational and entertainment purposes only.
13) I believe everyone incarcerated in our jails and prisons has a right to be free from all violence from other inmates and jail/prison personnel. Those who violate that right should be punished severely.
14) I believe there is nothing in the U.S. Constitution that gives the government the right to conscript anyone into the military, or even force a citizen to register for anything.
15) I don’t believe anyone associated with law enforcement should be allowed to pretend to be something they are not (ex., a minor child or a prostitute), in order to facilitate someone doing something they are not supposed to do. I don’t care what anyone says, that’s entrapment. And entrapment should always be illegal.