Here are some fun facts about Super Bowl XLVIII that you might not know:
1) This Super Bowl, to be held at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ, will be the first ever played in a cold weather location without a dome. Therefore, the elements could be a much bigger factor in this game that they have been in any previous Super Bowl.
2) This will be the seventh trip to the Super Bowl for the Denver Broncos and they will be facing their seventh different opponent. In the Broncos’ six previous Super Bowl appearances, they played the Dallas Cowboys, the New York Giants, the Washington Redskins, the San Francisco 49ers, the Green Bay Packers, and the Atlanta Falcons, respectively. Now they are playing the Seattle Seahawks. Compare that to the Dallas Cowboys’ eight Super Bowl appearances, in which they met the Pittsburgh Steelers three times and the Buffalo Bills twice.
3) This will be only the second Super Bowl that has matched two former division rivals. The Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks were in the same division, the AFC West, for 25 seasons (1977-2001). The only other Super Bowl to match two former division rivals was Super Bowl XLIII in which the Pittsburgh Steelers defeated Arizona Cardinals. Those two teams were in the NFL’s Century Division together for three seasons from 1967-1969. Those were the last three seasons before the NFL-AFL merger, and the Cardinals were still in St. Louis at the time.
4) This is only the second time in the last 20 years that the number one seed in the NFC and the number one seed in the AFC will be facing each other in the Super Bowl. The last time two number one seeds met in the big game was in Super Bowl XLIV, when the top-seeded New Orleans Saints clashed with the top-seeded Indianapolis Colts (when, coincidentally, Payton Manning was their quarterback).
5) The Seattle Seahawks will be traveling the second farthest of any team to play in a Super Bowl: 2850 miles. The farthest a team had to travel was for Super Bowl XIX, when the Miami Dolphins had to journey 3085 miles to Palo Alto, CA to meet the San Francisco 49ers.